[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2949: Tell in the documentation/man page/help output of cupstestppd that CUPS accepts all PPDs which pass "cupstestppd -r" and does not accept PPDs which fail this cupstestppd call

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Sep 18 13:07:02 PDT 2008

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> What I mean is that if you create a print queue with a PPD, CUPS will
> check whether the PPD is sane and in the case that it considers the PPD
> broken (non spec-conforming enough) then it will not use the PPD and set
> up a raw queue instead. What I want to do is to use cupstestppd to check
> already before creating a queue whether CUPS will accept a PPD for
> creating a queue, especially I want to be able to do this check also on
> machines without running CUPS daemon (for example the OpenPrinting server).

So again, use "cupstestppd -rq filename" to do a "relaxed" test of
the PPD.  The "-W" option can be use to exclude additional tests, as
documented in the man page.

That said, if you are going to do any client-side validation, I
would make the validation as strict as possible and get the broken
PPDs fixed.