Unsupported character set "iso-8859-1"

rock at peppa.com rock at peppa.com
Mon Apr 13 17:47:10 PDT 2009

I'm in a difficult position with a chroot environment for legacy Linux (debian)
system. This is done because of old software that doesn't work with the new libraries.

  My old version of lpr from cupsys-bsd is not working with the newer version of the server in the host system. I get this error:

# E [13/Apr/2009:19:29:57 -0500] Unsupported character set "iso-8859-1"!

and from the command line we get this:

# lpr: error - unable to print file: client-error-bad-request

I've tried a number of locale setting tricks from the chroot, but so far we are not able to print. Is there any way to work round this?