[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3278: full path in 'configure --with-pdftops=...'

jsmeix.suse jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Aug 4 06:00:35 PDT 2009

Currently e.g. 'configure --with-pdftops=pdftops'
does a test if the specified binary exists
during compile time via
'AC_PATH_PROG(CUPS_PDFTOPS, pdftops)' in cups-pdf.m4

When we build our cups RPMs we install a build-system
in a chroot environment to make sure the RPM gets
built in a known clean environmnmt.

To satify the test I could install xpdf-tools
which contains /usr/bin/pdftops in the build-system
but this would be only needed to satisfy the test.
As far as I see the actual /usr/bin/pdftops is not
needed to perform the build.

Therefore I would like to specify the full path via
'configure --with-pdftops=/usr/bin/pdftops'
but without the need to actualy install xpdf-tools
to avoid that the build-system gets bloated because
installing whatever applications in the build-system
may pull in huge amounts of other packages which
are required by the application.

The attached patch adds support to specify a full path
as follows 'configure --with-pdftops=/usr/bin/pdftops'
or 'configure --with-pdftops=/usr/bin/gs'
but e.g. 'configure --with-pdftops=/usr/bin/myfilter'
is currently not supported.

Furthermore the patch lets configure abort if
an unsupported value was specified.

In particular the latter is very important
because without the patch one could specify
'configure --with-pdftops=/usr/bin/myfilter'
but then this would be silently ignored and
CUPS would be built without any pdftops filter.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3278
Version: 1.4rc1