[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3288: Spurious 'Bad request line "^W^C^A" from M.N.O.P!' messages in error_log

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Aug 13 10:09:18 PDT 2009

Our error_log file is filled with error messages such as:

E [13/Aug/2009:17:46:08 +0100] Bad request line "^W^C^A" from M.N.O.P!

They appear to be (almost) harmless, though they can obscure error
messages reporting a more harmful situation, so we would like to get rid
of them. Occasionally, we see apparent garbling other than "^W^C^A", which
can spread over several 80-character lines.

I attach our server and client cupsd.conf files (with IP addresses
bowdlerized!)

John A. Murdie