[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3290: cups-lpd can't suppress form feeds

Marcelo Barreiros Furtado mabafu at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 14:43:47 PDT 2009

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 to receive print jobs from a mainframe.

The mainframe sends a LPD job via port 515.

Unfortunatelly the mainframe or cups-lpd adds a form feed after every job,
then printing a blank page, and incresaing printing costs.

I did set up the /etc/xinetd.d/cups file according to the cups-lpd man
page. I've also tried inserting some fixes into "server-args", like: -o
job-sheets=none,none, but it didn't works.

It seems that the "sf" (suppress form feed) option in the "printcap" file
of older LPD/LPRng servers could deal with that issue, althought the
/var/run/cups/printcap is always overwritten by cups.

Any help would be most welcome.

Tks in advance,

Marcelo

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3290