virtual printer driver - newbie

Bartosz Bialecki bbialecki at wp.pl
Mon Aug 24 11:30:53 PDT 2009

Hi there,
I'm new in programming printer drivers and I have some questions. I must write a virtual printer driver for linux and for mac. First, this driver should parse a printed file and save in database some information (for example phone number), but also should appear a dialog box where the user can put this information. Then file should be converted to pdf and tif.
I write a backend which converted ps to pdf file, but I don't know how parse this ps file to get information (in PPD file I use *cupsFilter:	"application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 -", maybe I should use one more filter?).
I searched how to solve the second problem and I found that for Mac I should write PDE plugin, but I have no idea what to do with linux.
IAny suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bartosz Bialecki