How to make CUPS log "Out of paper" events?

David eldavidillo at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 14 11:26:13 PST 2009

Hello,

I have a USB printer, it works fine, but I don't get any kind of notification when it runs out of paper; it simply stops printing, but CUPS keeps on showing it as "Ready".

I'm sharing that printer via CUPS on my local network, but I can't find a way for the other computers on the network to know if the printer has paper or not.

I'm monitoring CUPS log files with SEC (Simple Event Correlator) and I would like to know if there is some way to make CUPS log events such as "out of paper" or "paper jam" to its logs.

Thanks