How to make CUPS log "Out of paper" events?

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Dec 14 13:56:47 PST 2009

The standard USB backend does not do out of paper notifications since too many printers have broken implementations that return the "out of paper" status bit inverted or don't handle intermixed status and data requests.

As for logging this stuff, the best you can do is write a notifier (the sample notifier does most of what you'll need) that writes printer state change events to a log file.