[cups.bugs] IPP from windows fails with native drivers on non-raw queue

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Feb 18 01:28:48 PST 2009

Hello,

On Feb 17 11:14 Kyle Schmitt wrote (shortened):
> On CUPS 1.2, printer has a queue with real drivers (not raw).
> Printing over smb works with PCL and PS drivers, both generic and native.
> Printing over IPP only works with PS drivers,
> PCL based drivers (including the manufacturer drivers)
> cause a page of PJL commands to be printed.
> Switching the queue to raw allows the manufacturers PCL drivers to work.

Probably in your smb.conf file there is the entry
   cups options = raw
which enforces Samba to submit what it got from Windows
as "raw" job to CUPS (i.e. what "lp -d queue -o raw ..." does)
so that via SMB it actually behaves like a raw queue.

In contrast via IPP the Windows system submit the job
directly to CUPS but I guess without the "raw" option
so that via IPP the job is filtered by the usual CUPS filters
which cannot work for already readymade printer specific data.

Solution:
Either print via SMB to enforce raw printing on the Linux system
or try to teach the Windows system to submit it as a raw IPP job.

By the way:
I would be interested to learn if it is possible to let Windows
submit a raw job via IPP (if yes, which exact Windows version)?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex