[cups.bugs] Mac Landscape mode, the end of cups?

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Feb 20 11:31:04 PST 2009

Jim Deas wrote:
> Given that this bug is two plus years old, is this an early indicator
> that Apple has become the new Microsoft? Is it possible that Apple
> has purchased Cups only to bury it?
 >
> Please, no flames.

Then don't post comments like that?

We've released dozens of updates to CUPS since it was purchased.
Not fixing a particular bug has nothing to do with the purchase, and
the bug has been around for a lot longer than 2 years.

The main issue is that pdftops (in its various incarnations) is
embedding printer-specific commands to set the page size, and then
CUPS is applying the orientation requested by the user, essentially
double-rotating the output.

The various workarounds we've tried so far haven't worked, and the
upstream developers have not expressed an interest in changing this.

Moreover, we've been asked by the Linux vendors to stop shipping our
modified version of Xpdf so they can standardize on a single PDF
engine (poppler seems to be the favorite), so rewriting our Xpdf-
based code has not been an acceptable solution.

I'm currently looking at wrapping the local pdf-to-postscript filter
and pstops so that we allow that filter to handle the auto-rotation
of output and not pass landscape or orientation-requested to the
pstops filter.  That *may* fix things, but like all workarounds I
don't know yet whether it will fix all things.