[cups.bugs] Mac Landscape mode, the future of cups?

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Feb 20 14:48:59 PST 2009

Jim Deas wrote:
> Got it. Time to write a filter....
> I.E.
> File of type application/pdf queued by "jdeas".
> Queued on "BLD150-256" by "jdeas".
> Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops (PID 7036)
> Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 7037)
> Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster (PID 7038)
> Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertogutenprint.5.0 (PID 7039)
> Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/socket (PID 7040)
> Completed successfully.
>
> The Mac is sending pdf, from what I have read the printer is doubling up the rotation by sending a postscript rotate command to the printer (two rotations).
> The que ppd looks like a good place for prefilters but I need  a ps post filter.

You want to replace the pdftops/pstops combo with your own filter.

> Where do I tell the cups system to insert a post filter?
> Shouldn't a simple script to change any ps reference from landscape to portrait 'patch' the problem?
>
> Day one at this, am I going down the wrong path?

Make a "jimpdftops" filter in /usr/lib/cups/filter:

     #!/bin/sh
     options="`echo $5 | sed -e '1,$s/orientation-requested=[0-9]+//' -e
'1,$s/landscape//'`"
     pdftops "$1" "$2" "$3" "$4" "$options" $6 | pstops "$1" "$2" "$3"
"$4" "$options"
     exit $?

Make a "jim.convs" filter in /etc/cups:

     application/pdf application/vnd.cups-postscript 1 jimpdftops

Restart cupsd:

     sudo killall -HUP cupsd