[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3056: undocumented username at lpdhost/lpdqueue - works

Brad Edmondson brad.edmondson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 10:47:48 PST 2009

The LPD backend supports setting a username via
"lpd://user@lpdhost/lpdqueue", but this is not documented anywhere.

This compatibility is undocumented and I spent several hours to figure it
out and test it.  While per bug 3002 (http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3002)
the username, once entered, should not be displayed on the URI line (e.g.
when editing the printer's URI), the feature should be documented
somewhere, preferably in the examples below the URI entry field.
Currently there is only one example for LPD, "lpd://hostname/queue".
There could be another example, "lpd://username@hostname/queue".

This issue is very relevant to CUPS users who print to pay-for-print
stations, such as at a university or library.  In my environment, we must
provide our organization-wide username in order to print, which is rarely
if ever our CUPS computers' login name.  The lpd feature in this bug
allows us to print to our proprietary Pharos print stations without
changing our local username.

I have successfully tested this on CUPS 1.3.8 and 1.3.9 on Ubuntu, Fedora,
and OS X 10.4 and 10.5.