What's the function of Setup Tool

keens312 keens312 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 11 17:44:16 PST 2009

> keens312 wrote:
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > We may define the setup tool in our DRV:
> > *APAutoSetupTool: "/Library/Printers/vendor/Tools/autosetuptool"
> >
> > What function can setup tool provide?
>
> It is used when adding printers on Mac OS X, either the auto-added
> queues when you plug in a USB printer or when using the Add Printer
> window, and allows a vendor to rewrite the PPD file for a printer.
> (the tool is *not* used when adding a printer from the command-line
> or web interface...)
>
> Typically it is used to set installable options for non-PostScript
> printers.  If you do not need to set installable options or have a
> PostScript device, then DO NOT provide an autosetup tool.
>
> --
> Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System Engineer

Hi Michael,

We do have a installable options for our non-ps printer.

In the DRV we wrote:
Group InstallableOptions
    Option "DupUnit/Duplex Unit" Boolean AnySetup 10
    *Choice True/Yes ""
    Choise False/No ""

The effect of this is to show a dialog on adding printers, so user might change this value.

My question is that installable options can work without autosetuptool. what's the benefit of autosetuptool?

Thanks
Keene