ps2pdf.cups questions

Sebastian sebastian.razola at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 03:28:55 PST 2009

I'm meaning to get the the following done:

1. Write a launch agent
2. Get CUPS driver with PDF-backend
3. Get the driver to tell the agent after print job is done and thereby executing an app.

My plan is to get a Cocoa programmer to do the app that should be executed. Therefore i'm looking in to what it will take to get the rest done and potential pitfalls.

So have a few questions regarding this that i would be very thankful to get answered.

Q1: I read at a wiki (link below) that i should install the script ps2pdf.cups that is similar to the ps2pdf script that comes with GhostScript. So if i got it right this backend actually does the PDF, like Adobe Distiller. Who distibrutes ps2pdf.cups? Is there a license agreement or is it free to use in commercial applications unlike Distiller.

Q2: Since Adobe built the PDF format. How is the accuracy in converting to a PDF with this ps2pdf.cups compared to Distiller? If i have a PPD file delivered with a printer and use that with Distiller and ps2pdf.cups will there be differences?

Q3: Could i pack everything, launch agent, driver and the app into one installation package?

http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=slackware:cups#installing_a_new_cups_backend

Your help would be greatly appreciated!
/Sebastian