[cups.development] Windows driver

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Jan 15 09:06:35 PST 2009

Niconux wrote:
> So my questions are, is there a work in progress around the Windows driver to propose a better implementation of the PPD specifications, which are designed, in fact, to drive the driver itself in the way it will handle and create the User Interface for printer options ? Can we have an idea when the Windows driver will allow user input fields according what the PPDs allow (for example, I've a drop-down list for watermarks where I can select a custom one: but there is no input field where the user can register his custom watermark...) ?

We are not currently working on the Windows driver, and adding support
for custom options will require a lot of new custom UI and driver code
and possibly replacement of the core Windows PostScript driver, which
is easily several person-years of effort.  On top of that, we'd need
to do the work twice - once for 2000/XP/2003, and again for
Vista/2008/Win7.