[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3063: pdftops does not support multi-page-size documents or page size determined by document

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 13:04:26 PST 2009

If I send a PDF document with a non-default paper size without manually
selecting the needed size to a printer which provides the document's paper
size, the printer uses the default paper size.

Example:

I have a PostScript printer with both A3 and A4 available in its two
trays. The default size in the CUPS queue is A4 and the default tray is
set to automatic selection.

If I do

lpr A3landscape.pdf

I get an A4 sheet with the left half of the A3 (landscape) document.

I expect an A3 sheet being pulled from the second tray and the full page
printed.

I am required to enter

lpr -o PageSize=A3 A3landscape.pdf

to achieve this.

If I have a document with multiple different page sizes, like first page
A4, second A3, third A4, I cannot print it at all with CUPS.

I think the problem is the pdftops filter which generates the following
command line on the first example:

pdftops -level3 -paperh 842 -paperw 595 <input file>

which gives a crippled (left half on A4) PostScript output file.

If I use the command line

pdftops -level3 <input file>

(simply not specifying paper size) I get correct PostScript output.

Original bug report which made me posting this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+bug/310575

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3063
Version: 1.4-current