[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3069: Printer Offline, Client Prints, Client Shutsdown, Server Prints, Client Comes up, Sends Job Again.

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jan 21 08:32:15 PST 2009

[STR Closed w/o Resolution]

Dupe of STR #2732.

Basically, this is a side-effect of the store-and-forward approach used
for normal client printing. Only a single job (for a particular printer)
is submitted to the server at a time, and the backend that does the
submission waits for the job to complete before telling the local cupsd
that the job is completed.  If we didn't wait for the job to complete,
then the job might not get printed, e.g. if the server dies...

This can mean that a job can get printed twice if the client shuts down
before the server completes it, but it is preferable to not printing the
job at all.

The parent bug is tracking possible changes that would allow us to
remember the job we submitted and then check up to see if it has already
been printed when the client starts up.  This won't be perfect (if the
server no longer has the job history we'll still print twice), but it will
be better than what we have today.