[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3069: Printer Offline, Client Prints, Client Shutsdown, Server Prints, Client Comes up, Sends Job Again.

Josh Nijenhuis josh at nijenhuis.ca
Wed Jan 21 08:36:15 PST 2009

I am discussing this issue with someone else also in cups channel on irc,
we can't seem to find any documentation or changelog saying anything about
this. When You have 2 cups servers, serverone is the queue for the actual
printer, notebookone has his own cups server too with the queue on
serverone connected to it by ipp://serverone:631/printers/Color_Printer
when a user on his notebook would like to print something to this
serverone queue he prints to his local cups queue so that if out of office
he can still queue it up for the next time he is in the office. So,
notebookone is at office and the user prints, the job is in the queue on
the local cups queue(notebookone) and in serverone's queue, this in itself
is a nice function you can see if the print has actually printed or not.
the problem is when the printer is offline or has a problem, the job stays
in the queue, BUT when the client needs to go home or away before the
printer is fixed the job is still in his queue and on the server, the
actually problem is when the printer gets fixed the job prints and is
finish on serverone, but when notebookone comes back to the office
notebookone's queue send the job again to the server, and thus getting two
prints of the same job. Is there a way for the client to check if that job
was already completed on the server and if so don't print it again. Seems
to be no checking in this area. If there is another way to do this please
inform, but we would like to keep the current function of offsite
queueing.

Thanks