[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3063: pdftops does notsupportmulti-page-size documents or page size determined by document

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 09:57:57 PST 2009

Michael R Sweet wrote:
> Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> This fix looks correct in theory, but in practise it does not work.
>>
>> The intention is to do not impose a paper size if the user did not
>> supply an option to set the paper size. Unfortunately, CUPS always
>> adds "media=<PPD default paper size>" to the fifth command line
>> argument of the filters and so the pdftops filter assumes that the
>> user has set the paper size. Due to this it is still not possible to
>> print correctly PDF documents which contain pages of different sizes.
>>
>> Is it possible to suppress the addition of "media=<PPD default paper
>> size>" by configuration? Or is another fix required?
>
> Another change would be required.  The kicker is that we want to
> have a default media size (the one coming from the PPD file or one
> set by the admin/user) but don't want to apply that default for PDF
> printing unless "fitplot" (or the newer fit-to-page that replaces it)
> is set.

So we should change all filters from

if (options contain PageSize, PageRegion, media, media-col) {
    Activate paper size setting for conversion
}

if (options contain fitplot, fit-to-page) {
    Activate paper size setting for conversion
}

Am I right? Should I change the OpenPrinting PDF filters that way and
you will change the filters currently in CUPS that way?

    Till