Incorrect assignment of "JobSheets" in printers.conf

Frank Mayer fmayer at gmx.de
Tue Jul 7 12:11:12 PDT 2009

> Frank Mayer wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am not an expert in cups and I am hoping to address the right people here.
> >
> > Today I observed a strange behavior that every time I printed a banner-page "Classified" before and after content - although the settings of this printer (cups-pdf) were set to none.
> >
> > Looking into the printers.conf - file in the /etc/cups - directory I found that my first printer (a Brother laser printer) has the setting "JobSheets classified classified". I removed the setting there and surprisingly cups-pdf didn't print the banner any more.
> >
> > Changing "JobSheets" to "confidential confidential" in the settings of the BROTHER-printer(!) resulted in printing cups-pdf (my fourth printer) to print the "confdential"-banner (nothing changed in the cups-pdf-section, of course).
> >
> > I assume, that this is an error in cups and that the settings of the first configuration in "printers.conf" is used for every following printer.

> How are you printing?

Hi Michael,
most often I am "printing the Internet" (scnr, joke about German politicians).

Usually I print web-pages to pdf-files using the print-dialog from Firefox. This is the reason for the cups-pdf as the "default printer" in the printers.conf-file.

For ordinary office-work I am using the OOo-built-in pdf-export. So it is pretty rare, that I print really to a printer and actually I didn't print on paper for some months now.

Sorry, in the former mail I forgot to mention, that I am using kubuntu, so I am using the printer-configuration from kde (might be important).

Does this answer your question? Feel free to ask for any further information.

Kind regards,
Frank