String length in DRV file

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Jul 10 07:04:07 PDT 2009

On Jul 9, 2009, at 11:06 PM, keens312 wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> We use cupsIPPReason a lot for localization, for example:
> Attribute cupsIPPReason "InputJam/Input Jam" "Localized string for
> Input Jam"
>
> The totoal length cannot exceed 255 bytes.
>
> My question is that can CUPS system and DDK tools can support longer
> strings? 1024 bytes would be perfect.
>
> Since some of language is quite long, we have to tell the
> localization engineer to trim carefully.

The value of the cupsIPPReason keyword can span multiple lines, so you
can use the text scheme to provide longer strings, e.g.:

     *cupsIPPReason InputJam/Input Jam: "text:Input%20Jam%20Occurred.%20
     text:Clear%20the%20jam%20as%20directed%20on%20the%20printer."
     *End

Remember to percent-encode all UTF-8 text data as well as the space
and percent characters.

Keep in mind that the purpose of the text for the IPP reason keyword
is not to provide detailed instructions, but to simply notify the user
of the problem. Provide help links (Mac OS X) or web links (all other
platforms) to direct the user at your full text help, as needed.