[cups.bugs] options to command line tools

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Jul 10 07:51:46 PDT 2009

On Jul 10, 2009, at 10:33 AM, Sumant Oemrawsingh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm heavily using the command line tools (lpr and friends) and
> noticed some inconsistencies:
>

> lpq, lpstat, lprm and lpoptions use -h server
> lpr uses -H server
>
> I understand that this is because of lpr -h disabling the banner,
> but to me, that would mean changing the -h option of the other
> programmes to -H (for consistency's sake).

-H is used by lp for holding and resuming jobs.

Also, the BSD print commands only recently got the ability to specify
an alternate server on the command-line - we generally do not add new
functionality to them since lpc/lpq/lpr/lprm provide less
functionality than the corresponding System V cancel/lp/lpadmin/lpstat
commands.

> Also, the lpoptions manpage indicates that -U can be used. However,
> when doing:
>
> lpoptions -E -h some.server -U myusername -d printername
>
> I get a very "helpful" message that basically indicates that -U
> cannot be used here.

What version of CUPS?  What message are you getting?

-U should be supported by all of the System V printing commands.

> These are all annoyances, since after a while, I always forget which
> tool uses which argument to set the hostname, and I cannot set a
> default printer when printing to another host on my computer.
>
> Should these be submitted in the bugtracker, or are there reasons
> for having it like this?

Please file a bug for the lpoptions -U issue.

As for the different options for different commands, we've
standardized as much as possible but there are still legacy "warts" (-
d vs. -p or -P, for example) that we can't work around because we work
hard to emulate the old BSD and System V print spoolers...