[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3227: Brother HL-5150D duplex option not working properly

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Jun 17 14:22:54 PDT 2009

On Jun 17, 2009, at 12:39 PM, C. Blair wrote:
> Dear Michael,
>
> i'm sure you know much more about CUPS than i do.  However, i tried
> 4 drivers
> for my printer and the CUPS "Set Printer Options" was not able to
> affect the
> duplex printing on any of them.  Upon reconsideration, are you sure
> this could
> not be a CUPS issue?

Yes, quite sure, since otherwise duplex printing would be broken for
all printers and that has not been reported (and I'm quite sure I'd
catch that since I use duplex all the time...)

The Brother printer in question supports PostScript (BRScript3), so
there is no reason you can't use the vendor's Windows or Mac OS X PPD
to print instead of a Foomatic PPD which adds an unnecessary layer
that in my experience causes more problems than it solves...

Also, recent versions of Ubuntu have adopted alternate print filters
which might be (accidentally) clearing the duplex option, leading to
the issues you are seeing.

Michael R Sweet, Senior Printing System Engineer