[cups.development] How to avoid multiple access to USB

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Thu Jun 25 07:12:19 PDT 2009

The proper way to do this is to write a CUPS filter that communicates
with the printer (via the backend) and then your app can just sent
control commands as print jobs that are interpreted by your filter.
This method also has the advantage of allowing your normal print
filters to provide status back to your user app.

If you *must* communicate directly, IOKit will only allow 1 program to
claim an interface at any given time, so you don't need to add any
additional protections.