Filter PCL jobs

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Jun 29 04:24:13 PDT 2009

Martin Deluca wrote:

>> You need to add your own PCL filter and add a MIME type and filter
>> definition (.convs) file for it.
>>

> Thanks for your help Michael!
>
> I found the mime type application/vnd.cups-raw that has the rule:
> contains(0,4096,"LANGUAGE=PCL")
>
> Looking the job trace from wireshark I review that the PJL job header
> already contains this string, then it should apply to the PCL jobs.
>
> Then, I added in the mime.convs the next line:
>
> application/vnd.cups-raw application/vnd.cups-postscript 66 myFilter.sh
>
> Then I restarted the CUPS Server.
> But the filter is not being called. I have no idea about how to check the
> mime type. The CUPS log is not telling it to me, jsut saying that the job
> is going to the backend correctly without pass through any filter. Do you
> know how can I check it?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Martin.

By design "application/vnd.cups-raw" jobs are forwyrded directly to the
respective backend.
Define e.g.a mime type
application/pcl   prn contains(0,4096,"LANGUAGE=PCL")
and a conversion rule
application/pcl application/[vnd.cups-]postscript 66 myFilter.sh
in the respecive files (better, in your one my.types and my.convs).
As "pcl" sorts lesically before "vnd", this will work without modifying
the rest.
In the conversion rule, obmit the part I set in brackets, if you need
to fed your filter's output into the pstops filter as well.

Helge