[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3113: environment variable LANG set to wrong value on Solaris 10

Willi Burmeister wib at cs.uni-kiel.de
Sun Mar 1 06:57:29 PST 2009

cups-1.3.9 on my Solaris 10 U6 SPARC system is setting the LANG
environment variable wrong. It's always set to 'en_US.UTF8' (without
dash). This setting gives

   couldn't set locale correctly

error messages for all filter programs, and these are then running with
default C locale. UTF-8 char are not seen correctly and converted
the wrong way.

The correct setting should be 'en_US.UTF-8' (with dash).

The 'locale' command shows all available locales. On my Solaris systems
this shows:

% locale -a | egrep en_US.UTF
en_US.UTF-8

We dont't have any other cups server running, so we can't check the
behaviour on Linux or MacOS.

My language definitions in cupsd.conf:

     DefaultLanguage en_US
     DefaultCharset  UTF-8