[cups.development] [RFE] STR #3112: Limit long list of printers

Johan Bengtsson elijah at chalmers.se
Sun Mar 1 06:57:56 PST 2009

Our Linux workstations are configured in client.conf with:

ServerName our.server.se

We don't run a local cupsd on the workstations, doing so would cause
problems with kerberos authentication.

The print server has more than 400 printers on it, so the list of printers
become very long. It's a bit of a nightmare in Adobe Reader
which has very poor scrolling in the print dialog....veeery sloooow.
It works better in other apps but it's becoming more & more problematic.
I've seen suggestions of switching off browsing and adding printers with
lpadmin, but that won't work for us, users must be able to control
themselves which printers to use, anything else would be a support
nigtmare.
So what we would like to see is some way of shortening the list of
printers that is seen.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3112
Version:  -feature