ppdi not merging common content from multiple PPDs?

Smith Kennedy smith.kennedy at hp.com
Wed Mar 18 08:34:32 PDT 2009

On Mar 3, 2009, at 9:50 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2009, at 2:23 PM, Smith Kennedy wrote:

>>> What errors did you see?
>>
>> There were no errors written out to stdout or stderr.  Here is an
>> example run I did just now:
>> Notice that there were no error messages written out by ppdi when
>> importing hp1300_6.ppd.  But the "new.drv" file doesn't have the
>> LaserJet 1300 in it.  I checked system.log and the console log in
>> Console.app on Mac OS X and didn't see anything.
>
> Can you re-test with the current CUPS 1.4 release or Subversion
> sources?

I did a little testing with CUPS 1.4b3 that was in the Snow Leopard
seed.  The behavior seemed to be reproducible there as well.  One
interesting thing was that it seems the PPD produced by ppdc didn't
pass cupstestppd.  I'm experimenting with a bunch of them and will
have better results soon.

Here's what I was doing:

cp /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/HP\ Color\ LaserJet\
4700.gz .
gunzip ./HP\ Color\ LaserJet\ 4700.gz
cupstestppd
ppdi -o first.drv HP\ Color\ LaserJet\ 4700
ppdc -d . first.drv
ppdi -o second.drv HP4700.PPD

It is possible that the "HP4700.PPD" file (name used by ppdc taken
from the "*PCFileName" keyword value in the original PPD to name the
generated PPD from first.drv) doesn't pass cupstestppd, but I haven't
had time to really sit on this and focus.  ppdc seems to fail
silently, though.  If it was first calling cupstestppd or was
leveraging the validation logic of cupstestppd, then it would be
helpful to see those validation errors rather than silently failing.
The output I am seeing shows some kinds of line wrapping issues with
the HP4700.PPD, but I haven't had time to dig into that yet.

Hopefully more soon,
Smith