[cups.development] [RFE] STR #3145: Suggested Improvments for CUPS Test Page

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri Mar 27 10:27:38 PDT 2009

You'll see some of this information (PPD filename and version, location,
make and model) on the new CUPS 1.4 test page, and you can add username
and host by editing the new testprint file.

For earlier releases there isn't much you can do - the test page is custom
PostScript code that is only able to report information from the
interpreter, which is one of the reasons we added a new "CUPS banner file"
format (application/vnd.cups-banner) to allow a program to generate the
content instead.  This also works around the PS normalizer margin issues
on Mac OS X which result in a "full bleed" page being reported.

We'll keep this request around for future CUPS releases (too late for CUPS
1.4); I'm not sure about adding some of the information (OS version and
build are not generally relevant when there are 1000 Linux distros that
report the same information, for example), and I'm not keen on showing the
device URI since it can contain sensitive information. It might make sense
to list the extra files (filters, profiles, etc.) referenced by the PPD
file, and we can add the user and host info to the default testprint file
as well.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3145
Version:  -feature