[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3177: Errors in printers.conf is not reported on stdout when reloading/restarting cups

Gabriele Monfardini gabrimonfa at gmail.com
Fri May 1 07:17:13 PDT 2009

I've modified the driver of a printer by kde4 systemsettings printer panel.
Unfortunately the modification introduced a syntax error in printers.conf
file (/etc/cups/printers.conf).

Since I cannot find my printers any more (e.g. in CUPS administration
pages web-served on localhost:631) I've manually reloaded and restarted
cups from the terminal, apparently without any error.

The error was correctly reported in error_log (/var/log/cups/error_log),
"syntax error at line ... of printers.conf".

I wish it was also reported on the console, to ease the discover of the
configuration problem.

I'm using Kubuntu 9.04 with cups-1.3.9-17ubuntu3
(2.6.28-11-generic,x86_64)