[cups.development] [RFE] STR #3187: should allow number-up=8

Jon Peatfield jp107 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 7 11:01:21 PDT 2009

Apart from 1-up and 2-up there is no obvious ordering/orientation for the
sub-pages.

I might claim that the correct order for 4-up is:

       -----
       |1|2|
       -----
       |3|4|
       -----

but anyone reading the requests for cups will have seen people wanting
4-up to mean something else (or additional 4-up like things) - and when
printing duplex if is set you might want the default to change depending
on whether you are doing longedge or shortedge binding (tumble/notumble).

Of course it may be that 8 (etc) isn't supported because those who don't
use ISO A (etc) paper sizes are jealous of our ability to switch from An
to Am by a simple re-scaling :-)

N-up for squares will of course work for any paper size hence 4, 9, 16
should always be easy.

I've no idea what 2-up will look like on paper which doesn't have the
scaling properties of An...

 -- Jon

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3187
Version:  -feature