.drv directives and localization / internationalization / string catalog usage

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Fri May 29 17:30:07 PDT 2009

Smith Kennedy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to figure out how the CUPS DDK deals with localization.  I
> see the #po directive, but I cannot find anything that really
> describes how this is supposed to work.  I'm gonna start hacking away
> at a few ideas, but I thought feedback that the DDK documentation
> needs to be expanded to describe how this should work.  If anybody has
> some info they want to pass my way, I'd appreciate it as well.

The ppdpo utility can be used to generate a .po or .strings file that
contains all of the localizable strings in the .drv file.  You then
translate those strings and add #po lines for each translation, e.g.:

     #po de "German.strings"
     #po es "Spanish.strings"
     #po fr "French.strings"
     #po it "Italian.strings"
     #po ja "Japanese.strings"

I'll see if I can move more of the old DDK documentation on this to
the CUPS 1.4 "intro to the PPD compiler" documentation.  CUPS STR
#3212:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3212

(feel free to add comments and I'll incorporate it into the intro
guide...)