[cups.bugs] [CRIT] STR #3404: Cups on Ubuntu Karmic does not recognize USB printer

Carlos lerzundy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 11:46:41 PST 2009

CUPS 1.4.1-1 does not recognize Samsung usb printer, so the printer cannot
be added.

# dmesg after unplugging and then reinserting the printer plug:

[  645.290037] usb 3-1: USB disconnect, address 2
[  645.290178] usblp0: removed
[  660.320011] usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and
address 3
[  660.509389] usb 4-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[  660.517183] usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0 alt 0 proto 2
vid 0x04E8 pid 0x3008

*Ubuntu is seeing the printer attached to it.

- No options for adding a USB printer is prompt when trying to add a new
printer using CUPS localhost:631 .I tried to restart the system several
times with the printer ON but does not work either.

- This is a new Ubuntu install (Ubuntu 9.10 64 bits) with a gnome desktop.
Cups accessed via localhost:631 does not list the usb printer as a new
printer.

- After downgrading everything works again.

- I am using a Samsung ML-6060 USB printer