Qureing Printer

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Nov 4 05:49:18 PST 2009

[Please stop cross-posting]

On Nov 3, 2009, at 10:28 PM, sivakumar wrote:
> Hi,
>

>      In My printer suppose we send some command code like "/33R" it
> will populate some useful information about printer like
>
> 1)Printer Model
> 2)Printer Firmware Version
> 3)Ribbon Type
>
> In Which Area in Printer Dialogue page we can able to populate and
> How do we Populate printer specific information (I need sample code
> for this)?

The short answer is that there is no way to do this in the print dialog.

The longer answer is that you can provide your own setup application
that creates/updates a PPD file for the printer, and then your driver
can update the PPD keywords you've added as needed. The print dialog
will show the current ribbon type if it is an option, and the model
and firmware version could be put into the default printer name when
you set the printer up (although I'd recommend against the firmware
version for usability reasons).