[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3421: pstops might be misinterpreting *JobPatchFile PPD syntax

Chapman Flack ghost at anastigmatix.net
Wed Nov 18 23:11:54 PST 2009

[scope: only tested on RHEL, but the reported issue isn't obviously
OS specific.]

Hi,

According to p. 73 of TN 5003, the PPD syntax for *JobPatchFile is
*JobPatchFile: int: "invocation"

So, in my attempt to work around the packedarray bug in our
newest HP printer, I added this line to the PPD:

*JobPatchFile: 0: "/setpacking { pop //false setpacking } bind def "

cupstestppd liked the syntax, but what pstops actually put into
the file was:

0: /setpacking { pop //false setpacking } bind def

which of course incurs a PostScript undefined. Apparently pstops
doesn't parse the *JobPatchFile syntax into a separate int and
invocation string.  (Probably treating it like *PatchFile, which
doesn't have the extra int argument.)

I was able to work around the problem by writing deliberately
incorrect syntax leaving off the int:

*JobPatchFile: "/setpacking { pop //false setpacking } bind def "

cupstestppd still likes it, and now pstops puts the right string
into the file.  But it would be nice if the correct syntax worked
too.

Thanks,
Chapman Flack