[cups.development] Is it possible to get the CUPS printer/queue name in to the job stream?

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Oct 2 03:33:57 PDT 2009

Hello,

On Oct 2 02:44 Fred Heeks wrote (shortened):
> I've done some CUPS development around parsing of print jobs
> which so far works fine. I'm only using RAW print jobs.
> I now need to be able to determine which CUPS printer
> printed a print job.
> This information needs to be within the job stream itself,

I don't know what there is in the actual job data stream
but according to "man 7 filter":
The command name (argv[0]) is set to the name of the
destination printer.
The following environment variables are defined
by the CUPS server when executing the filter:
  PRINTER   The name of the printer.

For "raw" jobs, no filters are executed but at least
the backend is executed and "man 7 backend" reads
Backends are a special type of filter(7)
so that the above information is also available
for a backend.

By the way:
I do not understand how you do "parsing of print jobs"
without executing a filter i.e. when you are "only using
RAW print jobs"?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex