cupstestppd: confusion about the "-R" option

Kennedy, Smith (Macintosh Software - IPG MCT) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Fri Oct 2 15:40:24 PDT 2009

On Oct 2, 2009, at 3:15 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2009, at 2:08 PM, Kennedy, Smith (Macintosh Software - IPG
> MCT) wrote:
>>> That should work - are you using CUPS 1.4.x or the old standalone
>>> DDK?
>>
>> Sorry, my mistake.  I should have specified that.  I am using CUPS
>> 1.4.1 (Mac OS X 10.6.1 10B504).  I have tried using both absolute and
>> relative paths, and these paths do not have spaces in them.
>
> Hmm, we use the -R in our driver acceptance tests, so it should be
> working. Can you file a bug report with a sample PPD and instructions
> for duplicating the root directory structure you're using?

I'm afraid I incorrectly assessed the problem.

In creating a test case, I found that the "-R" argument seems to be
working, but the type of file to which the path points seems to be
inspected in some manner (for executability, among perhaps other
things).  If the file does not have the executable permission set on
it, the test will fail with a "missing cupsFilter file:" message, and
the output didn't list the path that was used in the search.

I filed STR #3363 for this, with an example to demonstrate the problem.