[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3386: ppdc incorrectly writes strings from message catalog

Andrew Kisliakov andrew.kisliakov at canon-europe.com
Thu Oct 22 09:59:50 PDT 2009

I have been using ppdi and ppdc to perform translations of an English PPD
into another language, e.g. Catalan. I have come across a problem in a
specific instance.

The problem occurs if, in the original (English) PPD, a keyword and its
translation string are identical. For example, the following line:

*Option1 None/None: ""

The resulting Catalan language PPD should contain a line as shown below.

*Option1 None/Cap: ""

However, ppdc erroneously generates the following line:

*Option1 Cap: ""

It seems that ppdc is incorrectly assuming that, because a translation is
redundant in the source PPD, it is not needed in the target PPD.
Furthermore, it then inserts the translated string in the place of the
keyword itself.

I've poked around in the source code of cupsddk-1.2.3 and it looks like
the problem could be fixed by modifying the following lines:
ppdc-driver.cxx:929
ppdc-driver.cxx:992

However, I'm reluctant to suggest a definitive fix because I'm uncertain
about any unforeseen consequences.