[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3336: problem with unsupported postscript version 3 (on an Infotec ISC 2525)

CC ICT-SUD registrazione at cc-ict-sud.it
Thu Sep 17 11:07:32 PDT 2009

Hi,
I'm having problem forcing CUPS to send PostScript version 2, not 3 to my
printer Infotec ISC 2525. Even if I print a version 2 .PS file, it gets
converted to 3 and I always get the PostScript source printed (with a
staircase effect). I'm quite sure that happens because my printer does not
support PS3, only PS2.

To install this printer I used the following PPD:

http://www.openprinting.org/foomatic-db/db/source/PPD/Infotec/PS/Infotec-ISC_2525_PS.ppd

from:

http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Infotec-ISC_2525

(see end of page)

I also tried to change:

*LanguageLevel: "3"

to:

*LanguageLevel: "2"

before installation but nothing changes as if this directive is ignored:
CUPS keeps sending PostScript version 3 files.

OS: Debian 5.0
cups Version: 1.3.8-1+lenny6

PS: I have the same problem in latest Mac OS X with the driver supplied by
the vendor:

http://support.aficio.com/bb/html/dr_ut_e/inf/model/mpc25/mpc25en.htm

(direct link of the driver I used:
http://support.aficio.com/bb/pub_e/dr_ut_e/0001144/0001144025/V100/I27643L9.dmg)

This printer seems to work only when using the PCL driver under Linux and
Windows. Since there is no PCL driver for Mac OS X the only way to make it
work would be by using PostScript. That's the reason I want to use it as a
PostScript printer and I'm asking about forcing CUPS to generate version 2
PostScript prints, not 3. Is there a way?