[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3349: cups usb backend a incompatible with usblp kernel driver

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Sep 29 09:50:04 PDT 2009

[STR Closed w/o Resolution]

This is not something we can fix. There is no portable Linux way to
"blacklist" the USB kernel printer driver, as we would need to rewrite
configuration files. Also, since this issue is limited to Linux, it needs
to be addressed by the Linux distributions themselves.

The fact that we are shipping a libusb-aware backend *is* documented, and
we worked with several of the distros on this during development of CUPS
1.4. The same problem also happens with then HPLIP driver package...

If you want to continue using the old kernel driver, configure your CUPS
with the "--disable-libusb" option.

Fix Version: Third-party