[cups.development] Setting CUPS options from filter in cups v < 1.4

Michael Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Apr 19 16:38:11 PDT 2010

On Apr 19, 2010, at 2:56 PM, Tim Pushor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any way to set print options from a filter script?

No, the print options are read-only from the perspective of the job filter.

> We've
> designed a filter script that works wonderfully and the last remaining
> issue is to be able to select an input tray depending on something in
> the print job. If I read the filter (7) specification correctly, the
> PPD: message send via stderr will do what I want.. The problem is that
> our application requires a standard RHEL distribution and they are still
> at cups 1.3 :(

PPD: messages only change the PPD defaults, they don't affect the job print options themselves. Technically this might affect how other filters interpret the defaults, however you can't control *when* the other filters will read the PPD file and thus is it not a reliable way to change options.

Normally PPD: messages are used to adjust installable options after the queue is added.