[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3566: Printing PDF files generates Unable to write print data: Broken pipe errors

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Mon Apr 26 10:02:38 PDT 2010

Michael Sweet wrote:

> DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.  INSTEAD, POST ANY RESPONSES TO THE LINK
> BELOW.
>
> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>
> We do not provide support for Foomatic driver issues. Please contact the
> developers on bugs.linux-foundation.org for this issue.
>
> Also, the pdftopdf filter is not part of CUPS...
>
> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3566
> Version: 1.4.2
> Fix Version: Third-party

You use the PPD generated from the foomatic database, which gives the
document type applicateion/vnd.cups-pdf priority over
application/vnd.cups-postscript and thus causes the debian-configured cups
to use the pdftopdf filter.

But the printer does not support direct PDF printing.

My suggestion is
(1) download the printer's native PPD from Xerox (preferred)
or
(2) delete (or turn into comments) the lines
*cupsFilter:	"application/vnd.cups-pdf 0 foomatic-rip"
*cupsFilter:	"application/vnd.apple-pdf 25 foomatic-rip"
of the PPD.

In addition, I'd suggest to file a bug to openprinting.org regarding this
issue.

Helge