[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #3566: Printing PDF files generates Unable to write print data: Broken pipe errors

Helge Blischke h.blischke at acm.org
Tue Apr 27 03:35:02 PDT 2010

Till Kamppeter wrote:

> On 04/26/2010 07:02 PM, Helge Blischke wrote:
>> Michael Sweet wrote:
>>

>>> DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE.  INSTEAD, POST ANY RESPONSES TO THE LINK
>>> BELOW.
>>>
>>> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>>>
>>> We do not provide support for Foomatic driver issues. Please contact the
>>> developers on bugs.linux-foundation.org for this issue.
>>>
>>> Also, the pdftopdf filter is not part of CUPS...
>>>
>>> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3566
>>> Version: 1.4.2
>>> Fix Version: Third-party
>>
>> You use the PPD generated from the foomatic database, which gives the
>> document type applicateion/vnd.cups-pdf priority over
>> application/vnd.cups-postscript and thus causes the debian-configured
>> cups to use the pdftopdf filter.
>>
>> But the printer does not support direct PDF printing.
>>
>> My suggestion is
>> (1) download the printer's native PPD from Xerox (preferred)
>> or
>> (2) delete (or turn into comments) the lines
>> *cupsFilter:	"application/vnd.cups-pdf 0 foomatic-rip"
>> *cupsFilter:	"application/vnd.apple-pdf 25 foomatic-rip"
>> of the PPD.
>>
>> In addition, I'd suggest to file a bug to openprinting.org regarding this
>> issue.
>>
>> Helge
>>

> Helge, removing *cupsFilter lines from the PPD is not needed. If
> foomatic-rip gets PDF as input and the renderer is not Ghostscript
> (*foomaticRIPCommandLine, in our case "cat"), foomatic-rip converts the
> input data into PostScript ('Starting process "pdf-to-ps"' in
> error_log). So the printer actually gets PostScript input and not PDF.
>
> Problem is probably that code for CUPS'page accounting gets inserted
> into the PostScript data stream ('Inserting PostScript code for CUPS'
> page accounting' in error_log). This works only with Ghostscript and can
> cause problems when the PostScript is sent to a PostScript printer. This
> problem I have fixed recently. Please get the newest foomatic-rip
> (foomatic-filters  4.0.4).
>
>      Till

Till, as for the conversion from PDF to PS, you are right – I missd that.

But I just looked through the sources of foomatic-filters 4.0.4 and found
that the insertion of the page counting
code is only suppressed if the PPD contains
*FoomaticRIPNoPageAccounting: true
which is missing in the PPD the o.p. used. Thus my suggestion would
certainly help him.

Helge