[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3569: Incorrect URL in printer queue description sent to remote machine

Wolfram wolfram at ritsuka.org
Tue Apr 27 09:58:41 PDT 2010

I'm using HP JaserJet P2015 printer, connected to my router by USB

I've CUPS installed on my router. The printer is configured with hp-setup
from HPLIP.

Here is my /etc/cups.d/printers.conf:

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.3.11
# Written by cupsd on 2010-04-27 12:27
<DefaultPrinter ljet>
Info
Location
DeviceURI hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_P2015_Series?serial=00CNBW69G0R9
State Idle
StateTime 1272346050
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
</Printer>

On my pc connected to router I've CUPS and HPLIP installed. I've changed
/etc/cups/client.conf to

ServerName router.mynet

So, printer is visible by lp-stat:

# lpstat -a
ljet accepting requests since Tue 27 Apr 2010 12:37:29 PM

And printing working. By when I try to run "hp-check -t" I get the
following error:

----
Type: Printer
Device URI: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_P2015_Series?serial=XXXXXXXX
PPD: /etc/cups/ppd/ljet.ppd
PPD Description: HP LaserJet Plus Foomatic/ljetplus (recommended)
Printer status: printer ljet is idle.  enabled since Tue 27 Apr 2010
11:54:14 AM
error: Unable to communicate with device (code=12):
hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_P2015_Series?serial=XXXXXXXX
error: Device not found
error: Communication status: Failed

As you can see, such Device URI can't be correct for remote machine.

So, when I run hp-toolbox, I get "Device communication error 5012" with
tons of annoying popups and can't manage printer queue/options.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3569
Version: 1.4rc1