[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3569: Incorrect URL in printer queue description sent to remote machine

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Apr 28 00:51:03 PDT 2010

Hello,

On Apr 26 23:21 Wolfram wrote (shortened):
> I'm using HP JaserJet P2015 printer, connected to my router by USB
>
> I've CUPS installed on my router. The printer is configured with hp-setup
> from HPLIP.
>
> Here is my /etc/cups.d/printers.conf:
> DeviceURI hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_P2015_Series?serial=00CNBW69G0R9
>
> On my pc connected to router I've CUPS and HPLIP installed. I've changed
> /etc/cups/client.conf to
>
> ServerName router.mynet
>
> So, printer is visible by lp-stat:
>
> # lpstat -a
> ljet accepting requests since Tue 27 Apr 2010 12:37:29 PM
>
> And printing working. By when I try to run "hp-check -t" I get the
> following error:
> Device URI: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_P2015_Series?serial=XXXXXXXX
> error: Unable to communicate with device (code=12):
> hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_P2015_Series?serial=XXXXXXXX
> error: Device not found
> error: Communication status: Failed
>
> As you can see, such Device URI can't be correct for remote machine.
>
> So, when I run hp-toolbox, I get "Device communication error 5012" with
> tons of annoying popups and can't manage printer queue/options.

HPLIP's tools like hp-toolbox do not support this kind of
network connected printers, see
http://hplipopensource.com/node/286
Does HPLIP support networked printers?
Answer:
Yes, HPLIP supports printers that are directly network connected
(via a built-in Ethernet port) or connected to a network
via a JetDirect.
and
http://hplipopensource.com/node/287
What network print servers are supported?
Answer:
Currently we have only tested HP JetDirect devices with HPLIP.
No other network print servers are supported.

What you do is network printing via CUPS and this limits the
supported functionality to what is provided by CUPS.

For example if a HP all-in-one device was connected as you do it,
you could not use its scanner unit with HPLIP's tools from the
remote machine but you could set up "Scanning via Network" see
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_Scanners_from_SUSE_LINUX_9.2
which results scanning via network via SANE and limits the
supported scanning functionality to what is provided by SANE.

To use HPLIP's special functionality from a remote machine you need
to have the device "directly network connected" as described above.

The reason behind is:
HPLIP's special functionality (e.g. get the device status - do not
confuse the actual device status with a remote print queue status)
needs a direct bidirectional communication with the device
and not whatever kind of indirect communication.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex