[cups.development] [RFE] STR #3632: Printer groups

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Aug 5 02:30:55 PDT 2010

I think that printer groups might be useful, but do dissuade me!

My site has two large groups of users (staff and students), and we operate
two CUPS servers on a single Linux instance, separating them with some
iptables configurations and having each CUPS server listen on a different
port. Not the least benefit of this is to separate the CUPS web page job
and printer listings of the two groups without prefixing each printer name
with the group name. The ability to create groups of printers would allow
the listings to be entirely separated.

There'd also have to be some security functionality - allowing only some
groups of users to see given printer groups etc, though even e.g. being
able to create groups of "Ground floor printers", "First floor printers"
etc. which all users could see would be useful.

Perhaps groups of groups should be allowed - e.g. "Staff : First floor
printers"?

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L3632
Version:  -feature