Print job not deleting when no output from filter?

Tim Pushor tim.pushor at yorkelec.com
Mon Aug 9 07:53:43 PDT 2010

Hello,

We have implemented a fill-out form based printing system for a legacy
application in which we essentially print a file of key/value pairs
which a filter script (as defined in convs) fills out fields in a PDF
file and outputs the filled out PDF.

This has worked very well for us. So well in fact that we decided to
expand on it and allow the system to also email and fax these forms from
our application. If we want to print or email a form, we print to a null
printer (file://dev/null), and the filter script handles dispatching the
  form off to hylafax or attaches it to an email and sends it off.
Again, this works very well.

The problem is that in this case, the filter script does not output
anything, we get a log entry in the CUPS error file:

> E [06/Aug/2010:16:36:33 -0600] [Job 391892] Empty print file!

And the print job does not get deleted. After a while these jobs pile up
and CUPS will no longer accept jobs.

I'm using cups 1.2.4 (from CentOS / RHEL)

There are ways that I can get around it, but does anyone have any
suggestions as to how I - from a filter script - can tell the print
system that I don't actually want to print anything and the print job
should get deleted?

Thanks,
Tim