Cups for large number of printers

bse bse at chalmers.se
Sat Aug 14 01:08:50 PDT 2010

> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > How many printers can a single Cups computer handle? Cups will use different queue for each printer? How about CPU usage and memory? Has Cups tested for large number of printers (say 100 up to 200) before?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> I have had over 700 queues doing an average of 5000 jobs a day running on a dedicated print server - ran with no problem - probably could do a lot more.

Our print system has 500 printers, run up to 15000 jobs per day,up to 50 concurrent jobs, with PyKota accounting on all printers, on a single 4 core 2 GHz.
Number of printers is not a problem.
Cups is using ~20% CPU, the problem is 1000 samba processes, eating the CPU and memory. If multiple frontends for the samba is used, the system could scale at least to ten times as many jobs.

//Bse