[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #3644: Unable to print documents due to Gutenprint 5.2.6 issue.

chris_debian cjhandrew at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 09:55:49 PDT 2010

A couple of days ago, I was able to print from my Epson Stylus DX7400
printer.

Today when I tried to print, I got the following error message and was
unable to print:

'input/ output' error

I power-cycled my printer and checked the USB connection. I also paused
and resumed the printer. Having done this, I still couldn't print, but
received the following (different) error message:

"The PPD version (14162507) is not compatible with Gutenprint 5.2.6."

This was repeated several times, but with a different number in
parenthesis.

I went to the CUPS admin page and selected Gutenprint 5.2 instead of
Gutenprint 5.2.6 and everything works perfectly.

Being an Arch Linux user, I keep my system up-to-date. In the last day or
so I installed the following update, and suspect this may have introduced
the problem:

x86_64      Extra      cups      1.4.4-3      The CUPS Printing System -
deamon package      2010-08-14

I documented my bug on the Arch forum, but think that I have recorded the
important bits in this report. The forum post can be found here:

Please let me know if I can offer any further assistance.

Many thanks,

Chris.