[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #3737: cannot get cups to send IP address in printer URIs

Wolfgang Rosenauer wrosenauer at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 12:55:44 PST 2010

In my local network environment I cannot reach the cups server via its
configured FQDN (hostname+domainname) but only by a different name or IP
directly.
I cannot get cups to use its ip address for the local printer URIs in its
broadcast messages although "ServerName IPADDRESS" should apparently do
the trick.

The relevant parts of my cupsd.conf:
ServerName 192.168.250.1
HostNameLookups off
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all
BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS
BrowseAddress @IF(eth0)
BrowseAddress @LOCAL

After CUPS server restart I still get the following data in its broadcast
packets:
URI: ipp://Hygiea.rosenauer.org:631/printers/officejet

This is cups 1.4.4 on openSUSE 11.3 (64bit)